20111030

Digitality & Magazines


For some magazine enthusiasts, either purchasing or receiving the newest monthly edition is its own sentimental treasure.  As ridiculous as it may sound, I actually cannot wait for the day each month that a new Vogue issue is on sale and I buy it immediately.  It is also a bit ridiculous that I don’t have a subscription and instead buy the magazine for sale price, wasting about $4 an issue.  Yet it will a be sad day, when myself as other avid readers will not be able to see an extensive selection of magazines as well as other genres of print media on the stands.  Some speculators state that in 2009 print readsership seemed to have decreased because advertisers would rather pay less on a web article versus a print article.  So not only has digitiality, or the condition of living in a digital culture affected people, but certain media genres as well.  Yet some magazines have taken initiative of the cultural shift, and progressed into attracting another audience of readers by posting most of the same information on their website, an example is Vogue magazine.  Vogue.com has launched and has attracted fashion enthusiasts on a broader spectrum, accessing them to a wide variety of editorial shots, designer updates, and even daily fashion blogs, accurately titled Vogue daily.  Below is a couple examples of Vogue.com’s daily posted pictures, these are just couple ones that caught my eye.
 


This last shot is of the magazine's November Issue Cover Story, Actress Rooney Mara who stars in the newest film adaptation of Steig Larssen's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo directed by David Fincher.  I believe the shot is absolutely captivating, and really showcases the incredible design by Marchesa.  


-Stace

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous01:33

    I completely agree with you! I love receiving the latest issue of my favorite magazines in the mail or spotting a fresh cover on the newsstand and snatching it up. I would much rather read the actual print version of a magazine than the online one. I also think it would be an extremely sad day if there wasn't an abundance of magazines to choose from when you walk into a store. The good news is I think the strategy of combining the print and digital versions of magazines is creating a renewed interest in the magazine industry and hopefully the feeling of excitement will never have to fade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous03:23

    There is much truth that you post about the decline about the print-media world. I can personally say that there is nothing like holding a magazine and flipping the pages and it's content, but as you stated, the world is starting to forget about that luxury.

    However, while I am pro-print, I can also see the advantages of posting web-magazines/digital media. Have you ever read the online magazine of Matchbook? I'm a supporter because it incorporates both the elements of print (clean lines, 'paper'-based layout, artificial page-turning), and media (photos of clothing are actually links to appeal's online store where you can purchase the article!).

    I'm also interested in where the world of print and digital media will collaborate and collide! Interesting post that is relative to both our class and society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete